It’s always fun to learn how to play games you’ve never played before, but have you ever tried playing a new game? Perhaps one from a different country that we don’t play here in the USA? If not, you’re missing out.
Here are three popular games in different countries that we should start playing in the USA as soon as possible. So, put away your 7th round of Jenga, and try one of these games instead.
Games Played In Other Countries That We Should Play In The USA Stat
People often forget that other countries love to play games too. So, why not try something new? Here are three games invented by other countries that everyone should learn how to play.
1. Pass The Parcel
In the UK, there is a popular game called “Pass the Parcel.” First, you will need to wrap a prize in several layers, but make sure it’s with different wrapping paper. It can be good, or a trick present.
This is a game where musical chairs meet hot potato, and it’s a blast!
How To Play Pass The Parcel
- Select and blindfold a DJ. First, you will need to choose a DJ and then cover their eyes to ensure they aren’t peeking.
- Pass the parcel. The DJ will randomly start the music, at which time the parcel will then be passed around ‘hot potato’ style.
- Unwrap one layer of the parcel. The DJ will stop the music at any time they wish. The person left with the parcel will need to unwrap just one layer of paper.
- Choose the winner. You repeat steps 2 and 3 until someone finally unwraps the present. Whoever unwraps it to find the gift is the winner.
Pilolo originated in Ghana and is a mix of a scavenger hunt and hide and seek. While this is a great children’s game, anyone can play it. If you’ve ever played ‘hide the thimble,’ then you should catch onto this rather quickly.
How To Play Pilolo
- Pick your objects. You will need to choose some treasures. If you’re outside, this can be rocks or seashells. If you’re playing indoors, you can select thimbles, buttons, or another set of objects. Make sure you count how many are there, so everyone knows.
- Set a time limit. Each game should have a time limit between 3 to 10 minutes—the more the object, the more time that should be allotted.
- Choose a leader. Your leader will be the person to hide the treasures and also keep track of the time.
- Hide the treasures. Your leader will take the time to hide all the treasures. When they are done, they will shout “PILOLO!” Everyone will then get up and search for the treasures during the allowed amount of time.
- Find out who the winner is. The person with the most treasures wins.
3. Luta De Galo
Luta De Galo is a ridiculous but super fun game that they play in Brazil. It translates to “Fight of the roosters” in Portuguese. Don’t worry; you won’t be fighting. However, you will need a small towel, bandana, rag, or something similar.
How To Play Luta De Galo
- Tuck in the bandanas. Each player will need to put their bandana, rag, or their choice of cloth into their belt or waistband. It should be sticking out so others can grab it; no cheating!
- Get into stance. Fold one arm over your chest and lift the opposite leg. If you fold your left arm over your chest, you will hop around on your right leg and vice versa.
- Try to snatch your opponent’s rag. Now it’s time to play! Hop around on the leg you first chose and try to grab the handkerchief of your opponents with your free hand.
- Find out who wins. If anyone unfolds their crossed arm or puts their leg on the ground, they are disqualified. If multiple people are left standing, and all the bandanas are gone, then the person with the most bandanas win.